Monday, April 21, 2014

Tongva Park

Tongva Park in Santa Monica opened last year; I finally made a visit two weekends ago.

Santa Monica was crowded that day, but not the park. Perhaps people haven't totally taken ownership of it. I also notice that public space in LA seems to be most active only when it is programmed-- with concerts, food, and other events, making a critical mass of people.


The chasmanthe was in full bloom and looked great backlit.

Chasmanthe and the dancing flower heads of Pennisetum spathiolatum:

The design concept refers to an arroyo, or seasonal stream, that used to exist on this site. The curving, sand-colored forms reminded me mostly of dunes.

One of two overlooks towards the ocean and Santa Monica Pier:

The oceanside entrance-- in the background you can see what must be the busiest corner in Santa Monica, leading to and from the Pier. I thought I'd stroll that way but was totally put off by the human tide!


No comments:

Post a Comment