Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Lausanne, sous la pluie

Two weekends ago I went to Lausanne, the nearest big city in the canton of Vaud. It rained most of the day and was quite cold, but the city somehow felt cozy, like there was a holiday spirit in the air. Perhaps it was the crowds of people bustling through the street market, perhaps the smell of roasting chestnuts?

The courtyard entry to the Art Brut museum is quite simple and still a striking space:


An old gate from the Lausanne city hall:


I had a great lunch at this decidedly old school restaurant-- when I first entered, a bit on the early side for lunch, it was just me and several groups of older folks gathered over coffee or a drink. Soon, though, every table was either full or reserved. I had my first raclette, a regional dish that consists of melted cheese on a plate, served with a potato, cornichons, and bread. Delicious!


In front of the cathedral, this area looks over the city to the south:


I was fascinated by this tall, weathered farmer selling the smallest, sweetest roses. I watched him for awhile until he finally had a customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment