Sunday, July 3, 2011

Rain + buildings





I had my heart set on taking a boat tour led by the Chicago Architecture Foundation, so the last possible time I could, I bought a ticket and got on board. Sure, it had been raining earlier that day, but when the tour started it was POURING! Luckily, I had my poncho with me, but the rain crept in anyway. I don't remember much of what the unflappable tour guide shared with us that day, but I was impressed by the powerful skyline and its diverse tall buildings.

They say that you can take a short walk down the street (or ride on the river) in Chicago and see the history of twentieth century architecture. Our tour led us from the first settlement near Michigan Avenue Bridge through the Beaux-Arts era, the minimal, modern tall buildings, through postmodernism and up to the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment