Saturday, May 15, 2010

my table!

It's the time for finishing projects (and soon, beginning new ones...), and my table is almost done! I am very excited about it. Last Friday everyone from the class set up their pieces on the stage and we talked about each one. The work was very impressive, including two Donald Judd-designed pieces, a Wright one, a bed, a headboard, and an original chair design.

This class taught me a bit about types and qualities of wood, how wood is transformed from a board to a finished piece, joints and fasteners, hand tools and machines, finishing, and furniture design. I do feel that what I learned is only the very beginning, and was impressed by how much skill and understanding it takes to create a piece of furniture. My project was really a team project with Steve in the wood shop and Theo, the professor.

Steve cleaned up some old bolts for me, these hold the table legs on:


Marking where the short cross-rails attach to the long rails. You can see almost all the pieces here, except the table top. The legs have rabbet joints cut into them, where they fit into the long rails:


Then all of a sudden (after several months) we assemble the frame!


Theo and the students:


My table:

No comments:

Post a Comment