Wednesday, February 10, 2010

rush!

Living near campus, I've had a continual view (from afar) of the fraternity/sorority culture, previously unknown to me. I often exclaim to myself, "they really do that? I thought it was just a cliche!"

The past few weeks was rush, so there were big groups of men and women walking to and from the frats/sororities, to do whatever it is they do to apply for entry. I saw a few women changing from their snow boots to dress shoes in the street. Apparently it would be gauche to show up dressed for the weather!

The other night, Rosana and I heard what sounded like a huge crowd of men chanting at the top of their lungs-- it turned into a swelling shout, and then a few short yelps. What were they doing? How many were there?

From our bedrooms, we could actually see the whole show-- and were shocked that it was only a dozen to 20 men making the racket. They called each new guy ("Thomas! Thomas! Thomas!"), then Thomas would out the door, then they would throw Thomas in the air 3 times. We had fun watching a few rounds, and then they dispersed.

No comments:

Post a Comment